Laptops have become essential devices in the lives of many of us, especially for people that are highly mobile. Regardless if we’re traveling or going on a business trip, we tend to take our laptops with us. And ever so often we run out of battery power. Sometimes during some highly important moments such as letting the boss know that you’re going to be two days late from the vacation.
Actually, laptop batteries get less performance as they age. So a laptop that would run for 4-5 hours when new, will end up working for just 30 minutes after a few years of use. For this and many other reasons, external laptop batteries can come in very handy.
Instead of squatting next to an airport plug as people pass you by, you can very easily take out a portable battery and charge your laptop as you’re comfortably sipping a drink at the cafe bar. Or how about binge-watching the last season of Game of Thrones on a mountaintop? Yes, you can do that too, with one of these external laptop batteries.
1. MAXOAK 50000mAh
- Superior Quality&SAFETY Guaranteed: Conform to UL1642 and UL2056 Standards. Constructed with Lithium-ion Polymer Battery Cells&Built-in 6 Security Protections to Ensure Safety Use and 1000+ Long Recharge Cycles. We Offer Customers a 12 Months Hassle-free 100% Satisfaction & Replacement Warranty.
- Long-lasting DC Power Bank for Laptops:Ultra High Capacity 50000mAh(3.7V)/185Wh(130W Max.).Compatible With a Wide Variety of Laptops(Max.130W)- Dell HP Lenovo Surface pro 2/3/4(DC12V) Sony Samsung Acer Toshiba IBM NEC.We Include 14 DC Connector for Various Laptops. Once Fully Charged, K2 Portable Battery Pack Can Charge Laptops(65W) About 2.5 Times and Smartphone About 11-18Times without Using your Laptops/Phones While Charging,It is Much Power Saving than AC Outlet Power Bank.
- DC20V/DC12V/USB5V Outputs:All-IN-1 FAST CHARGE Battery Pack.It Features with 1*DC20V/5A for Laptops(18.5V~20.5V), 1*DC12V/2.5A for Cameras,Routers,LED lights, 2*USB 5V/2.1A and 2*USB 5V/1A For Smart Phones, iPad, Tablet &Other USB-Charged Devices. You Can Charge Several Devices Simultaneously to Save You Much Time. Ultra Energy Saving & Fast Charging Speed with DC input:16.8V/2.5A, OUR K2 Battery Pack Can Be Recharged in Just 6-8 Hours.
- Emergency Battery Backup for Outdoors. Size 8.1" x 5.3" x 1.3" And Weight 2.77lb.You Can Easily Put This Portable Charger in Your Briefcase ,Backpack Or the Carrying Bag. Keep your laptops, Phones, Fans,LED Lights, Nintendo Switch, Speakers, Cameras Powered During Road Trip, Hunting,Camping, Fishing,etc.
- WHAT YOU CAN GET: 1 x Laptop power bank(K2),1 x AC Adapter, 1 x DC cable, 14 x DC connector for Laptops, 1 x Multifunction bag, 1 x Manual.
This hefty external battery works with most laptops (but not Macs!) and features 6 output ports:
- One 20V/5A port for laptops
- One 12V/2.5A port for digital cameras
- Two 5V/2.1A and Two 5V/1A for smartphones and other battery-charged devices
Multiple devices can be charged at once, which is very handy if you have a laptop and a phone that need juice at the same time. Or if you too have friends that never bring their own power banks and always rely on you.
The size of this battery is 8.1″ x 5.3″ x 1.3″ (20.6cm x 13.5cm x 3.3 cm), which is quite a good ratio for this amount of power. But in case it’s difficult for you to visualize its size, here’s an image with a person handling it in real life.
And at 2.77 lb (1.2 kg) it has a decent weight, although you wouldn’t want to take it jogging.
The MAXOAKKK 50000mAh comes with the following items included (besides the battery itself):
- Battery charger
- DC cable
- 14 (!) different connectors
- A carry-on bag
- A message card
2. RIVER Portable Power Station 116,000 mAh
- PORTABLE POWER STATION: The RIVER is a silent, lightweight lithium ion (Li-on) battery portable generator weighing just 11 lbs, but delivers 412Wh (114000mAh) of power.
- 11 POWER GENERATOR OUTLETS: Power up to 11 devices at the SAME time - (2) USB Quickcharge 2.0, (2) USB, (2) USB-C Type, (2) AC Outlets, (2) DC Outlets, and (1) 12V Car Port.
- VERSATILE USE: Ready for home, camping, emergency power source or commercial use - take the RIVER to camp, a photo shoot, for your RV or camper, and it can also be for portable CPAP power.
- BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM: The battery holds a charge for up to 1 year, and the advanced, smart tech regulates safe and efficient charging for your devices. Recharge fine with car battery, ultimate mini generator portable solution is here!
- PORTABLE SOLAR GENERATOR: At EcoFlow we also have a product line of solar panel kit. Pair the RIVER with EcoFlow Solar power generators/solar panels (not included) to create a solar backup generator when you head off the grid. The extreme solution as portable generators for camping, perfect camping generator in the market.
This is a beast of an external battery which is perfect for long trips in remote areas. At 116,000 mAh it trumps almost any other battery on the market in terms of charging capacity. And with a 300W AC electricity output, it’s in a class of its own.
You can use it to charge not one, but multiple laptops at the same time, as it comes with 4 USB-A ports and 2 USB-C ports. But besides those 6 ports, it also features another 5: 2 DC ports, 2 AC, and 12V car port. All-in-all 11 different ports, more than any other external battery for laptops.
As it turns out, the River has been born as an Indigogo campaign which where it gathered over 1.1 million dollars in funds. With this amount, they were able to successfully bring it to market and sell it worldwide.
In terms of size, it’s rather bulky at 12″ x 12″ x 12″ (30 cm x 30 cm x 30 cm) and also on the heavy side weighing in at 11 pounds (4,9 kg). So you would not want to take it on hikes, but if you travel by car or attend a summer festival, then this will be your best friend.
3. Crave PowerPack CRVPP101 50000 mAh
- WHAT DOES IT WORK WITH?: Compatible with most Laptops & Notebooks (Make sure your laptop charger draws under 5 Amps, Auto Shutoff above 5 amps) Please check your adapter size and compatibility PRIOR to purchase if unsure.
- COMPACT & PORTABLE: Our external battery charger is not only powerful, it fits conveniently in your bag, suitcase or purse. Tightly packaged under 3 pounds, you can take it wherever you go and never run out of power. You never have to stop for an outlet again! When your smartphone, tablet or laptop start losing charge, just pull your Crave PowerPack battery charger out of your bag and recharge it in no time.
- BLAZING CHARGE TIME: At 50000mah, you can charge your devices to full capacity quickly and efficiently. Not only that, but each fully-charged Crave PowerPack power bank can charge your smartphone from 0-100% battery power up to 15 times!
- LAPTOP COMPATIBILITY: Acer, Asus, Compaq, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, IBM, Lenovo, NEC, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba (Apple Laptops draw > 5 Amps, not supported)
- PORT COMPATIBILITY: 1 20V/3 Amp Port for Laptops, 1 12v/2.5 Amp Port for Camera a misc, 2 5v/2.1 Amp USB Ports For Tablets & 2 5v/1.0 Amp Ports for SmartPhones and misc.
This is a highly versatile external laptop battery which will charge almost all laptop models. But before purchasing make sure that your laptop draws under 5 Amps, otherwise the battery will shut off automatically.
In terms of port variety the Crave PowerPack features the following:
- one 20V/3 Amp port for charging laptops
- one 12v/2.5 Amp port for charging cameras,
- two 5v/2.1 Amp USB ports for charging tablets
- two 5v/1.0 Amp ports for charging mobile devices
This portable charger also comes with a set of different adaptors that will fit popular laptop models such as Lenovo, HP, Samsung, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Acer and more. All-in-all there are 10 different adapters included in the package.
When it comes to size, the Crave PowerPack comes in at 8″ x 6″ x 2″ (20 cm x 15 cm x 5 cm) and weighs 1.98 pounds (0.8 kg) making it one of the lightest items on this list.
4. Jackery PowerBar 77Wh/20800mAh
- Specializes in providing outdoor green power solutions for explorers, Jackery launched the world's first Lithium Portable Power Station in 2015. Jackery Portable Power Station, Power Outdoors!
- 【ETL Safety Certified Conforms to UL 2743 Standard】: Your safety, our concern! Each PowerBar has been designed to the highest safety and quality standards, ensuring reliability and performance
- 【AC Outlet Portable Charger】: 110V/85W (100W Peak) AC outlet provides a great solution to AC power supply. Compatible with a wide variety of laptops and other AC plug devices( devices that operate at no more than 85W ), Jackery portable power external battery is perfect for travel and business trip on plane and outdoor family camping (NOTE: please press the power button for 2 seconds to turn on the AC output and remember to turn off the AC outlet after using or the battery will drain out)
- 【Charged Universally】: [ NOTE: It may only provide about 50% charge to your MacBook Pro 15" if you are using the laptop the whole time while charging ] Comes with USB C, QC3.0 and 5V/2.4A three USB outputs. PowerBar powers iPhone and Galaxy up to 8 times, offers a 1.1 charges to 12'' Macbook , 70% charges to your MacBook Pro 15" without using your laptops while charging.
- 【WHAT YOU GET】: 1×Jackery PowerBar 20800mAh AC portable charger, 1× USB wall charger, 1× USB C Cable, 1×User Manual, 1×Thank You Card. 24-month product warranty and 7×24 hrs friendly customer service
The Jackery PowerBar is specially designed to power laptops. And unlike many similar products, it can handle the MacBook and other Apple laptops. Furthermore, it features a very handy AC port, which means that you can plug your laptop directly into it just as you would do with a regular wall plug.
Notice: If you’re connecting to the AC plug, you can do so by holding the power button pressed for 2 seconds. And after, you’re done, the AC should be switched off, as the battery will drain even if nothing is plugged in!
Besides the AC plug, the Jackery PowerBar features 3 other ports:
- USB charger (5V 2.4A)
- USB C (5V 3A)
- USB 3.0 quick charge
When it comes to size, it’s pretty compact compared to other external laptop battery chargers, measuring in at 6.29″ x 2.55″ x 2.55″ (16cm x 6.4cm x 6.4cm). It’s also pretty light at only 1.5 pounds (690g).
5. Voltaic Systems “Arc 20 Watt Rapid Solar Laptop Charger” – 24,000mAh
- INCLUDES A BATTERY PACK (POWER BANK) to charge your laptop quickly and safely. Store energy and power to charge your devices even when it is cloudy and the sun is not out. Completely charges most laptops in 6 hours, 1 hour charges most smartphones
- INCLUDES A 2-YEAR WARRANTY. Our solar panels are designed to last. Built using rugged fabric and strong solar cells that can withstand the rigors of everyday use (2 year on solar panel, 1 year on battery pack)
- HIGH PERFORMANCE SOLAR PANELS made from industry-leading monocrystalline solar cells fully charges V88 power bank in just 6 hours of direct sunlight.
- DESIGNED TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THE SUN | Only weighs 3.25 lbs. Attach to your backpack or stash into the smallest of spaces in your travel bag. Sturdy metal grommets allow for easy mounting on various backpacks, bicycles, and touring gear
- COMPATIBILITY | Designed to power and charge thousands of laptops computers, DSLR batteries and USB devices like the Macbook, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Sony, Nikon, Canon, GoPro, Blackberry, Android devices, and other smartphones. *May require additional adapters, see details below*
If you’re into long camping trips then you’re going to love the Arc 20 Watt Solar Charger Kit simply because it comes with a foldable solar charger. In full sunlight, the power bank can be completely charged in 5 hours!
This is a great device to have with you when going to remote places for longer time periods. When the battery gets depleted, you simply need to unfold the solar panels and point them at the sun. You can even use the Arc 20 as it’s being charged by sunlight.
It works for most laptop models, including Macs, but it can also power other types of devices such as digital cameras & smartphones. It’s also very light, as the whole system (power bank + solar panels) weight in at 3.5 pounds (1.58 kg).
Besides solar energy, the battery can be charged by traditional wall charger and by car adapter, both of which are included in the package.
6. RAVPower external laptop battery charger 20100 mAh
- Speedy Type-C input & Output
- Monstrous 20100mAh capacity that keeps you going
Althought not the most powerful or cheap (compared to output) tiem on the list, this is definitely one of the lightest at only 1.08 punds (490 g). And considering it’s size of 6.7″ x 3.1″ x 0.8″ (17cm x 6.7cm x 2cm) it’s also one of the slimest laptop chargers you can find. Unlike many power banks on this list, this one can actually fit in a pocket (albeit not a very tight one).
It charges most laptop models including the often troublesome Macs using the Type-C plug that matches the MacBook’s original 30W charger. However, a Type-c charger is not included in the packages and must be purchased separately.
7. Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 30 million+ powered by America's leading USB charging brand
- Huge Charging Power: High-speed charging for phones, tablets and USB-C notebooks. Boasts 1 USB-C (30W) and 2 USB ports (5V/3A each)
- Colossal Capacity: 26800mAh of power charges most phones over 7 times, tablets at least 2 times or notebooks at least once
- Recharge 3x Faster: Time for a full recharge is reduced to 4. 5 hours thanks to Power Delivery input (27W). Compatible charger included
- What You Get: PowerCore+ 26800 PD, 30W USB-C wall charger, Micro USB cable, USB-C to USB-C cable, travel pouch, welcome guide, our worry-free 18-month and friendly customer service
Anker is one of the top brands when it comes to power banks. This model is a good fit for anyone that wants to power their laptops, especially MackBooks or other USB Type-C devices. One of the features that stands out for this battery is it’s fast charging time. At only 4.5 hours, it’s one of the fastest on this list. A great advantage if you’re in a hurry.
As a plane-safe device, that is also small and nimble, this is a great option for traveling. At 1.3 pounds (590 g) it can easily be carried in a backpack and at 6.5″ x 3.1″ x 0.9″ (16.51cm x 7.8cm x 2.2cm) it might even fit in a pocket.
Although perfect for Macs, the Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD is not compatible with a series of laptops such as HTC 10, Dell XPS series, Lenovo ThinkPad 470s, ThinkPad X1, HP Spectre, and the Huawei MateBook. And for some other models, it doesn’t support high-speed charging.
8. AIVANT KR-899 42000mAh external laptop battery
- Real Ultra High Capacity 42000mAh: Compatible with most popular laptops and notebooks(Can NOT charge laptop with DC current over 10A/120W).
- 2 AC Outlets& 4 USB Charging Ports: 6 output ports in total. Two 110V/200W(max) outlets for laptops or notebooks, and four Mirco-USB charging ports(5V/2.1A*2, 5V/1A*2) for most of smartphones, tablets and more USB-charged devices and appliances like fan, LED light.
- Fast Charging with 15V/2A DC Output: Recharged your devices with this AIVANT KR-899 ac power bank faster than ever and conveniently monitor the battery level via the 4 built-in LED indicators. This AIVANT KR-899 ac power bank could NOT keep powering while recharging.
- Safety and Durable: Constructed with lithium-ion polymer battery cells& built-in 6 security protections to ensure safety use and 1000+ recharge cycles. The bundled high-quality 360 degrees multi-functional carrying bag protects your battery pack from damage and also provides more portability for taking it at home or on the go.
- What You Can Get: 1 x AIVANT KR-899 Power Bank, 1 x AC/DC Adapter, 1 x Multi-functional Portable Protective Carrying Bag, 1 x User Manual and 1 x 12-month Hassle-free 100% Satisfaction Warranty.
Although not as famous as other brands in this list, AIVANT, delivered a sound product in the KP-899. It’s one of the few powerbanks that’s been made primarely for laptops. With it’s high-end capacity, it can power almost all laptop models, with the exception of those that operate with a DC current over 10A/120W.
One of the most appealing features of the AIVANT KR-899 is the fact that it comes with two AC outlets. So if you’re into activities that require the use of two laptops at the same time, then this is could be one the best alternatives. Besides the 2 AC outlets, it also features four USB ports (5V/2.1A*2, 5V/1A*2) and one 12V output port for jacks.
Another handy feature of the AIVANT KR-899 is the solar input port. This means that you can charge it using solar panels, which is very useful if you’re planning long trips off-grid.
In terms of size, it comes in at 7.9″ x 5.7″ x 1.8″ (20cm x 13.7cm x 4.5cm) and it weighs 3.31 pounds (1.5 kg). So it’s definitely not the most nimble on the list.
This concludes our list. Now, depending on your specific requirement, some of them might be better than other. So we here’s our take on the best choice for some of the most popular needs:
- Best mAh/$ ratio: MAXOAK 50000mAh 5/12/20v
- Largest capacity: RIVER Portable Power Station
- Lightest: RAVPower 20100
- Best choice for Macs: Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD
- Best for solar charging: Voltaic Arc 20
- Most AC plugs: AIVANT KR-899
Before purchasing any of these it’s wise to make sure that your laptop is fully compatible with the external battery you’re interested in. So check details such as laptop model and power input specifications. Most of the time you’ll be able to figure it out by reading the product page details. But sometimes you’d need to get in touch with the supplier. This short research can save you loads of time and nervs in the unfortunate event that you’ll order an incompatible charger. It pays to do your homework!
This being said, do you know of any other external laptop battery that is so good that it should be included in our list? If so, please let us know in the comments and we’ll take it into consideration. If we consider it to be good enough, we’ll add it to the list!