When it comes to power bank capacity, 10000mAh is arguably the most popular choice people make. But is it enough for the needs of the average person?
Overall, yes. A 10000mAh should be able to supply enough juice to cover the power needs of the average person. It’s a great option if you’re looking to top-off your smartphone from time to time as you go about your day. This is why it’s an ideal choice to have with you at the office, school, or during your commute.
The pros of 10000mAh power banks
- They are light and easy to carry around. You won’t notice them in your backpack or purse for example.
- Most of them can easily fit in pockets
- They’re quite cheap too. The average price is somewhere between $20 and $30
- Compared to power banks with higher capacities, they’re usually faster to charge. Depending on the charging technology they have, you can expect to take between 1 and 3 hours to charge
- They’re the perfect companion for daily use
The cons of 10000mAh power banks
- They cannot charge your smartphone more than 3 or 4 times on average. If your phone has a high capacity, you’d be lucky to get even 2 full charges out of your power bank
- You cannot rely on them for more than 1-2 days of use. If you’re going on a longer trip, especially outdoors, then you’d need a higher capacity portable charger
- They usually cannot charge devices such as laptops or gaming consoles as they don’t have enough power output. But even if they did have enough output, the small capacity would not extend the life of a power-intensive device by too much time.
How long does it take a 10000mAh power bank to charge?
The average charging time for a 10000mAh power bank is somewhere around 3 hours. For example, the Anker PowerCore 1000 PD Redux, takes 3 and a half hours to charge. But depending on the charging technology, this time can vary.
10000mAh power banks with older technology that only have a Micro USB for their input, can take as much as 5 to 6h to charge. On the other hand, if the power bank is using a fast charging technology, it might take less than 1h to charge, but this will come at an extra price.
How many times can a 10000mAh power bank charge your phone?
In order to calculate just how many times you can charge your phone using a 10000mAh power bank, you should first know the fact that not 100% of the power bank capacity will end up in your phone. In fact, the reality is that only about 70%-80% of the power bank capacity will be able to be used for charging your phone. We have explained the whole process in detail here. You can also use our mAh calculator to get a better idea.
For reference here’s what you can expect based on your phones battery capacity:
- 1500mAh phone capacity: 4-5 times
- 2000mAh phone capacity: 2-3.5 times
- 2500mAh phone capacity: 2-3 times
- 3000mAh phone capacity: 2-2.5 times
- 3500mAh phone capacity: 1.5-2 times
- 4000mah phone capacity: 1-1.5 times
Which power bank is better 10000mAh or 20000mAh?
If you’re planning to use the power bank to charge one smartphone anywhere between 1 to 3 times/day, then a 10000mAh power bank should be enough for your needs. However, if you want to charge more than one smartphone on a daily basis, or if you want to depend on a power bank for 3-4 days at a time, then you should go for a 20000mAh portable charger.
If you want to check out some specific models, check out our curated lists of what we believe to be the best options:
Getting a 10000mAh power bank should be more than enough if you’re planning to charge up your phone whenever it runs out of power throughout your day. You can expect to get at least 1-2 full charges from such a power bank which is more than convenient. If this is not enough for your needs, you might want to try getting a larger capacity power bank, with 20000mAh being a popular choice.